How to configure Joomla to use Redis
This article describes how to configure Joomla to use Redis.
Redis is an open-source memory object caching system that websites can use to help accelerate page load times. Redis works by caching in RAM frequently accessed data, such as the results of API calls, database calls, and more.
- Redis is currently enabled on Turbo shared, Turbo reseller, Managed VPS, and Managed Dedicated server accounts.
- If you have an unmanaged VPS or unmanaged Dedicated Server, you have full root access and can install and configure Redis yourself.
- Redis is not supported on non-Turbo shared hosting accounts at this time.
If you have a managed hosting account, make sure Redis is enabled before you follow the procedures below. For more information about using Redis on managed hosting accounts, please see this article
Enabling Redis for Joomla
To enable Redis for Joomla version 4, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Joomla site as the administrator.
- In the left sidebar, click System.
- Under Setup, click Global Configuration.
- Click the System tab.
- In the Session section, in the Session Handler list box, select Redis.
- Configure the Redis connection settings:
- If you have a Managed VPS or Dedicated Server, confirm the Redis Server Host/Sock text box is set to localhost, and confirm the Redis Server Port text box is set to 6379.
- If you have a Turbo shared or reseller account, in the Redis Server Host/Sock text box, type /home/username/.redis/redis.sock, where username represents your account username.
- Click Save & Close. Redis is now enabled for Joomla.