How to install WHMCS using Softaculous
This article describes how to install WHMCS using the Softaculous installer in cPanel.
You must have a WHMCS license key to complete the installation process.
This application is only available in Softaculous Premium. If you are using Softaculous on a managed VPS, you must upgrade to Softaculous Premium to install this application. If you need further assistance, please open a ticket at http://my.a2hosting.com
You can have WHMCS up and running on your web site in minutes by using the Softaculous application installer in cPanel.
To install WHMCS using Softaculous, follow these steps:
- Log in to cPanel.
If you do not know how to log in to your cPanel account, please see this article
- In the SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER section of the cPanel home screen, click any of the options under Categories. The Softaculous installer page appears.
It does not matter which option you click under Categories. All of them start the Softaculous installer.
- In the Search text box, type whmcs and then press Enter.
Alternatively, you can use the navigation pane on the left side. To do this, click E-Commerce, and then click WHMCS.
- Click Install. The installation page appears.
- In the Choose Protocol list box, select the protocol.
If you have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select https:// or https://www. If you do not have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select http:// or http://www.
- In the Choose Domain list box, select the domain for installation, or accept the default value.
- In the In Directory text box, type the directory where you want to install the application, or accept the default value.
If you want your domain name to go directly to the application, make sure the In Directory text box is blank.
- In the Data Directory text box, type the directory where you want to store application data, or accept the default value.
- In the CRON Job text boxes, type the cron job intervals, or accept the default values.
Cron jobs are tasks that are scheduled to run automatically. If you are unsure of the values you should use, accept the default values.
- In the Company Name text box, type the name of the company.
- In the Admin Folder text box, type the directory for the administration interface, or accept the default value.
- In the Company Email text box, type the company e-mail address.
- In the Valid License Key text box, type your WHMCS license key.
- In the Admin Username text box, type the administrator username.
- In the Admin Password text box, type the administrator password.
Make sure that you choose a strong password! The Softaculous installer provides a ranking for your password's strength, and turns green when the password is strong. Alternatively, you can click the
icon next to the Admin Password
text box, and Softaculous generates a strong, random password for you.
- In the First Name text box, type the administrator's first name, or accept the default value.
- In the Last Name text box, type the administrator's last name, or accept the default value.
- In the Admin Email text box, type the site administrator e-mail address.
- In the Select Admin Language list box, select the language for the administration interface.
- In the Select Site Language list box, select the language for the site.
- Click the icon to expand Advanced Options.
- In the Database Name text box, type the name of the database to create for the application, or accept the default value.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available, select the Disable Update Notifications check box.
A2 Hosting strongly recommends that you receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available. Keeping your site updated helps prevent unauthorized access attempts and data loss.
- To automatically update the application when updates are available, select the Auto Upgrade check box.
- In the Backup Location list box, you can select a location to store application backups.
- In the Automated backups list box, you can select whether or not Softaculous makes periodic backups of your application.
- In the Backup Rotation list box, you can select how often Softaculous overwrites the oldest backup file with a new backup file.
- To receive site configuration information after the installation is complete, type an e-mail address in the Email installation details to text box.
- Review the installation options and settings, and then click
. When installation is complete, Softaculous provides information about the application's configuration.
After you install WHMCS, you can configure it to work with WebHost Manager and cPanel. For example, you can add a cPanel server, set up a WebHost Manager package, and more.
For detailed instructions about how to do this, please visit http://docs.whmcs.com/CPanel/WHM.
What Is WHMCS?
WHMCS is a comprehensive solution used primarily by Reseller Hosting customers for the automation of their web hosting businesses. WHMCS is used for client administration, billing and offering support. Appropriately enough, WHMCS is an acronym for Web Host Manager Complete Solution.
WHMCS was created and launched back in 2003 by an owner of a web hosting company. WHMCS can lend some of its success to the fact that it is a web hosting platform designed by a web hosting company. This provided ample opportunity to scope out the marketplace to research existing platforms and improve upon their features and shortcomings. Its founder and developer had a simple, yet complex goal in mind back in 2003; to create the complete web hosting automation solution. That is, to offer a centralized platform for all billing, support and client management tasks. WHMCS accomplished just that, while at the same time helping web hosting companies work both more quickly and more efficiently. In the end, WHMCS succeeded in its goal of being a comprehensive platform and exceeded expectations with its ability to help hosts save money by being a 3-in-1 platform.
Why Should I Choose WHMCS?
WHMCS has an excellent reputation for being both highly flexible and for its quick feature release cycles. While not every hosting company has the same feature needs, WHMCS can be customized to fit those individual needs for each individual host. This is due in part to it being both open and highly extensible in addition to being backed by a strong development community.
cPanel & WHMCS Partnership
In 2012, WHMCS further expanded its ability to meet web hosts' needs when it partnered with the popular web hosting control panel cPanel. cPanel/WHM offers even the newest web hosting customers a very easy to use control panel to manage their accounts. Just as WHMCS made it easier for web hosts to manage their own companies, cPanel makes it significantly easier for hosting customers to manage their sites, database, email, files and so much more.
Previously, many web hosting companies utilized the power of both WHMCS and cPanel, but separately. There was in issue however because the two tools were distinctly different and there was no cohesion. The WHMCS and cPanel strategic partnership helped bridge this enormous gap. The goal of the partnership was to deliver more synergistic web hosting control panels. Ultimately, the partnership has succeeded as far as it being much easier to share information between the two control panels.
- Web Hosting Management – Provides users with complete account management and setup. WHMCS can help you manage your customer from day one all the way until they no longer wish to host with you.
- Billing – Easily send amazing looking invoices and automatically collect payment from your customers. Best of all, you can remain focused on the best way to improve your business' performance.
- Complete Support Suite – All-encompassing ticket system provides you and your customers with a central location to request and receive support. Your customers can open tickets via the help desk or they can send an email. At the same time, your support staff has easy access to their accounts.
- Managing your applications
After you install an application using Softaculous, you can back up and restore it, do updates, and more. This article shows you how to manage your installed applications in Softaculous.
- Ordering a WHMCS license
Learn how to order a WHMCS license for your reseller hosting package.